Degree Requirements (Catalog Year 2012-2013)
Students pursuing this degree must successfully complete 48 graduate credits, distributed as follows:
- Two to four courses (6 to 12 credits) in literature
- Four to six courses (12 to 18 credits) of writing workshops in one of the concentrations
- At least one course (3 credits) in another genre, which may be ENGL 608
- 6 credits in thesis (may be taken in the summer term only with permission of the thesis committee)
- 6 to 12 credits in ENGL 608, with a minimum of 6 credits in student’s chosen genre
- Up to five courses (15 credits) of electives chosen in consultation with the writing program faculty
- 1 credit of ENGL 699 (visiting writers)
With the approval of the MFA faculty, the program director, and the dean, the number of credits required for an MFA may be reduced by a maximum of 20 credits on the basis of graduate course work earned prior to admission.
Requirements may be different for earlier catalog years.
William Miller, Director
Robinson Hall A 477, MSN 3E4
Jay Patel, Graduate Academic Coordinator
Robinson Hall A 487, MSN 3E4