The English Department is pleased to announce the Dr. Barry Berkey personal essay award. This annual award was made possible by the gift of Velma Berkey in honor of her husband Barry. The Berkeys are themselves authors and generous supporters of George Mason University.
There is a prize of $500 associated with the award. In addition, the student winner will be recognized at the English Department's annual awards reception. The essay will be published in English Matters, the English Department Alumni magazine.
Contest open to English majors in the CHSS with junior or senior status - at least 60 credits at time of contest.
- Genre: personal essay.
- 1000 words or fewer.
- One essay per applicant per year.
- Junior students may enter contest in both junior and senior years.
- Submissions must be original, not previously published, and entirely true.
- Entrants' names are blinded.
- 2023 due date for entries: March 10, 2023
- Entries may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please also refer any questions about the award to email@example.com
February 07, 2023